Wherever you work – whether it’s in a cubicle, corner office or you hot-desk, the way you organise your workspace is a reflection on your personality and working style.
There is also, definitely, a correlation between the objects you decide to have on your desk and what type of worker you are – 57% of workers in the US admit that they judge their coworkers by how clean or dirty they keep their work spaces, with nearly half admitting they have been “appalled” by how messy coworkers’ offices are.
90% of respondents believe clutter has a negative impact on work, with 77% admitting that clutter damages their productivity.
It is believed that there are six types of desk users – which one are you?
- The Minimalist: This worker is like a ghost – they take long lunch hours, ignoring emails and working in a bare space (with no decor, just their computer) which makes people question if they’re actually there. This desk will show that the worker is a fan of doing the bare minimum necessary, and may return reports late or be silent in meetings. They also may be looking for another job while currently at their present job.
- The Hoarder: This worker wants everything to be in the office – including massive paper stacks, overstuffed drawers and meeting notes from 10 years ago. This desk will prove a worker who always wants to be involved, and never wants to throw anything away, but could become a fire hazard.
- The Documentarian: This desk will be home to many memories, and a shrine to anything big in that worker’s life – but don’t get on their bad side, as they won’t forget it…ever. This type of worker will hand out multiple copies of emails, remember everyone’s birthdays and always be thinking about their latest holiday.
- The Techie: No matter the job, the techie will have any piece of technology needed to up their productivity – it may look impressive, but it won’t affect their results. They will have multiple screens, and be too busy video conferencing (playing video games) to help out. They may also blow all the fuses when they plug in their 15th device below their desk.
- The Sickie: This desk will contain quarantined everything – keyboard, monitor and pens, however the worker will always be off with something – cold, cough or headache. They may also overdose on cough syrup.
- The Zen Master: This worker will be a calming presence in the office, but their desk will be more of a spa than a work space – with plants and inspirational posters a plenty. They probably won’t take deadlines too seriously as they’ll be relaxed, and will probably end up meditating in a meeting.